TWITCH SUCCESSES, OFFICIALLY BECOMING A GAMES DEVELOPER AND THE FUTURE!

An eventful year so far! Started a pretty successful Twitch channel, and now I've started my first job in the games industry!

5:00 PM (AEST), May 3rd, 2022

Introduction

It's been a while since I last wrote on this blog, but for a good reason, I think, and that was the fact I was having a little break from programming and development, focusing more on applying for work and giving Twitch streaming a legitimate attempt! Thankfully, I had success in both of these activities! I started a small community of fans and viewers on my Twitch Channel while also landing my first real paying job in the games industry.

From late November to mid-February, I worked on three projects (An Infestation, Digging Simulator 1989 and my Website redesign) one after the other, not really taking any breaks or time in between (other than maybe Christmas or a family event), and while fun, it was time to relax for a little and put more focus on the job searching side and maybe focus on other hobbies again.

Have You Seen Deez Keyz?

Funnily, I'm the kind of person that always needs to monetize my time, and even though I wanted the downtime and wanted to play games with friends again, playing games felt like a waste of my time, so the best of both worlds was to stream. The thinking was I'm having a break, playing some games, but I'm also doing something more meaningful, something I've always wanted to do too!

So I created my Twitch channel as the persona of SeenDeezKeyz, (but sadly, most people I raided just called me Sean) and started streaming in late February! To my amazement, a little over a week went by, and I had made it not only into the Twitch Affiliate program but had almost 60 followers, an average viewer count of 6 and 4-5 people constantly talking in my live chat! These huge achievements were just week one!

After a very successful and memorable celebration stream for making Twitch Affiliate, I streamed for another month, obtaining 118 followers, 25 subscribers, 15 average viewers, and had a total stream time of 178 hours! Sadly because of the next topic in this blog, I haven't been able to stream over the last 20 days, but I am so very proud of myself for these achievements! I'm also thankful to everyone that stopped by and supported me in my streaming journey, and I really hope I can return to my stream very soon. I miss it! And I miss everyone involved!

Check out the channel, and consider following in the hope that I eventually return!
https://www.twitch.tv/seendeezkeyz

Officially Becoming a Games Developer

While I was enjoying my break from development, my other focus, along with Twitch Streaming, was looking for a job in the games and software development industry. Thankfully I was successful in this activity at long last too, but it was a lot of work and learning.

I don't want to talk too much about the actual business, but I can talk about some basics! I'll be in a Junior position as a Games Designer / Unity Developer, and they have an understanding of my current abilities, meaning plenty of opportunities for education and moulding me for the industry. The project I'll be working on is Crypto related, and one thing to know about me that most likely hasn't been mentioned in this blog before is that I love all things cryptocurrency! So this is a dream position for me, not only for the foot in the door with the games and software development industry but for my interest in cryptocurrency technology too!

I'm very excited for my future and what opportunities this position can open for me in this industry and games development in general! It's been a very tough two years, so getting this position has been a massive relief and a weight off my shoulders. I'm so thankful to everyone that helped me along the way, and I hope you wish me luck for things to come!

Final Points

Obviously, with the changes in my life, this blog will need to change. I don't think I'll be doing much independent or hobby development projects anymore, and I can't talk about the specifics of what I'm doing at work either. So I may be making some changes with the structure possibly to a journal or maybe even an educational blog, haven't decided just yet. All I know is I do want to keep writing "something like this", so stay tuned for something fun!

CONTACT ME

Thomas

I'M THOMAS WILTSHIRE

WORKING AT:
SAVYSODA